While I was at work today, I looked on the CNN website (like I always do) and saw that Al Sharpton was once again trying to march. This time, he was marching around the Main Justice Dept. building on Pennsylvania Avenue in order to get the government more actively prosecuting hate crimes. As a fed, I can tell you that the Justice Department has entire sections devoted to prosecuting these types of crimes. It's like saying that these people are not doing their job. Al Sharpton and others like Congressman Artur Davis of my home state of Alabama cited statistics about the number of prosecutions for hate crimes led by the federal government. Then there were a standard group of black celebrities, Dick Gregory, Judge Mathis, Tom Joyner who were there in Freedom Plaza along with Sharpton. They were protesting that all of those cases involving nooses that are being plastered by the media were not investigated and prosecuted by the government and more specifically the Justice Department. Why is it solely the responsibility of the Justice Department to prosecute these crimes? What about pressing the states first to do something? Just jumping the gun in order to get on TV. That's what I think. And the marching around the main DOJ building? I don't think that did a bit of good. What was marching going to do? In what I saw on CNN.com, Sharpton argued that the nooses in the Jena 6 situation were a hate crime and that the black boys involved were somehow victims. Correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Sharpton but weren't those boys in trouble for fighting a white student. They jumped the white boy, not the other way around. If he doesn't watch out, those boys are going to be on the wrong end of a hate crime charge in addition to the other criminal charges they have, with the 6 black boys jumping one white boy. I don't like Sharpton. He's an opportunist waiting to get in front of the camera to whine about white racism when there are real issues in the black community that need to be address. According to a DOJ report, about 7% of homicides against black in 2005 were committed by whites. You want to know who committed the other 93%? Blacks. That's right. We are hurting ourselves and nobody is marching about that. Al Sharpton doesn't want to see what we in the black community are doing to ourselves. I bet some of those marching today left neighborhoods that were in despair, walking right past black boys standing on the street corner doing nothing who should be in school or on a job, walking past the elderly who need help, just keep on walking to go run up behind Al Sharpton and his mess. It makes me sick. We have a multitude of problems that need to be addressed in the black community and I don't think that running behind Al Sharpton and walking around the DOJ building 7 or however many times they did it is going to change those problems one bit.
Read The Full Article: