post from They gave us a republic... - Front Page
on 08 August 2012 01:00:00 AM. © They gave us a republic... - Front Page
- @BarackObama hits back with a campaign add that features small business owners who realize that they had a hell of an advantage by virtue of being Americans. "I am a product of all the great opportunities our country gives its citizens. I grew up with middle-class values, where I went to public school. I went to college at a public university, where I received a Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps scholarship," Angie Morgan, a co-founder of the Leadstar company says in a release sent by the Obama campaign to Virginia news outlets. "Upon graduation, I served my country as a Marine. Today I am a military wife and a small business owner that employs military veterans. I believe that President Obama's leadership and vision create paths for the American Dream to be possible."
- Rmoney doubles down on his lie about the Obama administration trying to suppress the voting rights of the active duty military, but refuses to say whether veterans and military retirees - as well as firefighters, cops, nurses, EMTs and others who serve their communities and work long shifts deserve that extra three-day early voting window or not.
- Romney adds a new lie to his repertoire. Moving on from the vote-suppression lie to a lie about Obama "gutting welfare reform" -- after the administration did what GOP governors asked to have the work requirements in the 1996 welfare reform law determined by the states.
- But wait! There's more! When rMoney was Governor of Massachusetts in 2005 he didn't just ask for one of the waivers he's now trashing, he also offered welfare recipients free car insurance, inspections and registrations, even free AAA memberships. Maybe he should just STFU.
- And he said it with a straight face, too. Mittens on Tuesday insisted that Harry Reid needs to reveal his source, while steadfastly refusing to release his tax returns like every other candidate has for decades. The sense of entitlement and privilege that drips off of him is truly jawdropping in its audacity.
- This should surprise exactly no one. The MIC (military industrial complex) is in a tizzy over potential cuts to the defese budget and telling the republicans in Congress to raise taxes rather than let their bottom lines suffer the loss of a single dime.
- Jonathan Capehart shares some of the hate-mail he got after discussing Chick-fil-A on the teevee machine. Kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling - and by that I mean chilling, abject terror - that these goons are walking around on the streets of America instead of being locked in institutions getting the mental health services they obviously and desperately need.
- Since rMoney decided to attack the Kibbutz movement, someone should ask him about those fundamentalist Mormon compounds that dot the southwest. At least in a Kibbutz a female child isn't married off to some creepy old pervert who uses her as a brood mare and the boys aren't expelled so the young women won't reject those old pervs for men their own age.
- Not our finest hour. Not by a long shot. The Supreme Court allowed the state of Texas to put Marvin Wilson to death Tuesday evening even though the man had an IQ of just 61 and didn't understand what was happening to him. It was the 245th execution order signed by the "pro-life Christian" Rick Perry.
- Now that's what I call a false economy. An audit reveals that the state of Arizona spends $3.5 million more contracting with private prisons than they would spend if the state operated them.
- The Voting Rights Act is 47 years old today -- and in more peril today than it has ever been as GOP-controlled legislatures all over the country pass laws to disenfranchise constituencies that traditionally vote Democratic
One more thing...
As you may know, I was asked to write a post for Political Animal about the Missouri primary yesterday -- and I will be back there in the morning with a post-mortem of the election results. Add to del.icio.us Digg this Post to Furl Add to reddit Add to myYahoo!
Read The Full Article: